Monday, March 30, 2009

Rainy Day Cookies


Rainy weather for a couple of days had me feeling blue. Naturally, I thought baking would perk me up and help pass the rainy afternoon with Keagan. I decided on some oatmeal cookies from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. First I had to check my plain oats supply, and measured out exactly the 2 cups the recipe called for- whew! Once again I used "white whole wheat" flour because it is what I have been baking with most of the time now and I have been happy with the results. What I liked about the recipe in particular, was the use of not only cinnamon but ground cloves to spice up the cookies. I'm a fan of spices is many baked goods, and I would have perhaps thought of allspice or nutmeg to go with cinnamon, but the ground cloves added a very poignant note. Of course I opted to add some craisins to half the dough and chocolate chips to the other half- I mean, come on, plain oatmeal cookies? I was very pleased with how they turned out, even with some toddler measuring skills going on (I still have to get the dust pan out to sweep up the spilled sugar). They definitely perked me up on this gloomy day, and I even wrapped up one of each kind in a cellophane bag for each of Keagan's playgroup moms and plan to deliver them tomorrow in the hopes of bringing some smiles to friends' faces. (Don't you wish you lived in my neighborhood now?)

No comments:

Post a Comment