Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Ahhhh... lunch


One of the (many) perks of being home during the day is the ability to make a nice lunch for myself when I have a whim to do so. (Mostly, I opt for leftovers from dinner the night before.) I had bought a large "family" pack of chicken breasts the other day and rather than freeze a bunch of them, decided to whip out my table top grill (a knock-off George Forman type) and grill up a couple breasts. If I'm going to make the effort, I figured I might as well do more than just the one for this lunch- that way I'll have tomorrow's lunch (or even dinner) mostly done! To prep the chicken I sprinkled both sides with salt and a Mrs. Dash garlic and herb mix that I really enjoy. I stay away from fresh cracked pepper on the grill because it tends to burn. The nice thing about these grills is that they work on both sides at once, so a chicken breast cooks in just a couple minutes. I also use a bit of cooking spray made for grilling (i.e. to withstand high temps) on the grill surface. It is a "non-stick" grill, and for something like steak I don't bother with this, but chicken is so lean and occasionally decides to lose an edge to sticking.
I had a lovely bag of mesclun greens in the fridge so I made up a salad with that, pea pods, carrots and some frozen (and briefly cooked in the microwave) corn. It was a beautiful salad with the warm (can you see the steam in the picture?) chicken on top, and made a very scrumptious lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment