Monday, March 23, 2009

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back...




Well, actually, these were St. Louis style ribs, not baby back. I usually buy St. Louis because there is more meat on them and they are cheaper. Perhaps not quite as tender at baby back, and with a bit more fat on them, but still my preferred cut. I learned the technique for making them from Alton Brown. You start by making a dry rub and coating the ribs with that and letting them rest in the fridge for a couple hours- on some aluminum foil with another sheet on top crinkled at the sides to make a packet (you will be adding liquid to this packet to cook them). I erred with the dry rub a couple times until I realized the recipe said "this makes several batches of rub." Using all the rub makes VERY salty ribs and sauce, so don't do that! I have, however, substituted some of the spices for others in his rub and have had good results. The rub is all about the ratio of salt to sugar to spices, not necessarily which spices you're doing. Once on vacation, I wanted to make these for Erik but didn't have the recipe with us and I messed up the ratio of salt to sugar- which is 8 tablespoons sugar to 3 tablespoons salt. I reversed it. Again- WAY too salty, don't do it! It may have been the one meal I've made for Erik that he didn't actually eat.
Once you're ready for the oven, you make a braising liquid for the ribs. This has white wine, vinegar, chopped garlic, honey and Worcestershire sauce in it. You pour the liquid into your aluminum foil packet and bake at 250 for 2 1/2- 3 hours. When the time is up, take the ribs out and pour the liquid into a sauce pan to reduce it. Mr. Brown just uses this sauce as is (once reduced) for glazing the ribs and dipping later. I decided I wanted a bit more body to it this time around and made a more traditional BBQ sauce by adding molasses, more honey and tomato paste. It was fantastic! The sauce gets brushed on the ribs and they are finished off under the broiler till a nice crust forms. Beware: this usually smokes a bit, as the aluminum foil has bits of juices, etc on it that burn quickly. In the summer- finishing them off on the grill is fantastic too. This technique always yields flavorful, tender ribs. Next time you see racks on sale, I highly recommend trying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment