Friday, March 20, 2009

Tacos Grande


Ground beef (80/20) was on sale this week and in 1lb packages, not the deals where you have to buy 4-5lbs of meat for the sale price. Suddenly, images of hot, crispy tacos entered my head and I was sold! When I browsed the taco shell section, I was struck by a memory of a TV ad for shells with a flat bottom for standing them up while stuffing, so I bought that kind to try it out. Dang advertising! In practice, they were really just like roomier taco shells, once you start eating one, you don't really put it back down to stand up on its own again, so I am not sure if the flat bottom is a "breakthrough" for tacos everywhere (although it did make it very easy to pose my taco for a pic!).
For stuffing my tacos, I like to saute some onions to go into the meat. I used a McCormick taco seasoning packet, but after studying what was in it, I think I can go it alone next time. I used to use their chili packets as well, but now have a stocked spice shelf for such endeavors and the taco seasoning really isn't too much different. For toppings I had some shredded cheese, iceberg lettuce and sour cream. Sometimes we also do some salsa or just chopped tomatoes, and if I'm getting really crazy I also do some refried beans. To me, the cheese, lettuce and sour cream are essential though. You need the crisp, fresh iceberg and the dairy to balance out the spicy, hot meat filling.
Sadly, my pregnancy-related heartburn was NOT pleased with this meal... sigh... but that's what Tums are for!

3 comments:

  1. I just started reading this endeavor you now have....good stuff!! I would love to reach in and grab this taco...looks just yummy! BTW I had no idea there were flat bottom taco shells, it does make it easier for stuffing. I'll have to find them!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could, I would reach through the computer and grab that taco! Very appealing and professional looking too! I had no idea there were flat bottom taco shells....I'll be on the lookout for them.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, why wasn't I invited?!! Looks de-lish. Tacos are my FAV!! Most times I make them, Isabelle sings "Daddy likes tacos, Yum Yum Tacos!" Sooo cute. You're right -- the pre-mixes are mostly salt anyway and simple to duplicate. I love to throw some diced avacado or chopped green onion on top.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete