Saturday, April 4, 2009

Apricot Mustard Chicken?


A friend of mine gave me this recipe for Apricot Mustard Chicken which is basically some dijon mustard mixed with apricot jam and spread on some chicken before you bake it. You can also add some fresh ginger if you have it (but I didn't), and of course salt the chicken as well. I wasn't sure how this was actually going to turn out (the flavor combination of sweet and tangy, although pretty classic, sometimes worries me until I get he ratios right), but having tried it twice now, I can say, it works well. What I like about it is that it can work with any cut pieces of chicken- so it's a great way to utilize the cheap cuts like the bone-in chicken breasts and the leg/thigh portions, which you can get for around $1 a pound. To prep the chicken, if it is a skin-on piece, I usually poke the skin a bit to allow for some fat drainage and for the sauce to go in. This makes for a crispier skin as well, rather than a limp, fatty skin in your final product. To help that process I also start the chicken covered with foil, but about 20 minutes before it's done, take the foil off. Cheap, easy and yummy- can't get much better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment