Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Danke, Schnitzel


I saw these gorgeous boneless sirloin pork cutlets in the meat case and immediately a voice inside my head said "pound them thin and bread them!" Yes, these thoughts do pop into my head while perusing a meat selection.
For the breading, I did a standard dredge in flour then egg wash (egg with a bit of water, beaten) then breadcrumbs method, but I decided to season the flour with Old Bay (a classic seafood seasoning mix, but really a great all-around seasoning- I love it in a rib dry-rub) and Kosher salt. Simply heat some oil in a pan and cook until the coating is golden brown and the pork is cooked through (medium to medium high heat- you don't want the breadcrumbs to burn before the pork is cooked)
The flavor of the resulting bread coating was fabulous. The breading also keeps the pork juicy, and the pounding tenderized it- so you could practically cut it with a fork. Mmmmmm.... Schnitzel.

No comments:

Post a Comment