Saturday, April 25, 2009

Blueberry Waffles



The age-old question on Sunday morning: Pancakes or Waffles? Tough call. This is of course, assuming you went with a savory eggs/bacon/hash browns type of breakfast on Saturday ;)
This time I went with waffles. But I wasn't going to be satisfied with just some waffle and syrup on my plate, and I knew that I happened to have an opened bag of blueberries in my freezer. What else could be concluded then to make a blueberry sauce topping! I gave Erik the taste of preparing the waffles (he knows our waffle maker timing better than I do, actually) while I started on the sauce.
The blueberries had, admittedly, been opened for some time in the freezer and therefore had a good amount of ice crystals around them. With this starting condition I decided not to add any water to the pan when I started, figuring there would be enough moisture already. I put the blueberries in a small sauce pan, added some brown sugar and honey and let it come up to a simmer. After a few minutes of simmering, the berries were nice and soft, with the right amount of sweetness, but the sauce was too liquidy for my taste. I made a small amount of cornstarch and water slurry and added that to the simmering mixture. This tightened it right up and had the viscosity I was looking for. It was gorgeous on the waffle, and I also decided it needed a bit of whipped cream to finish it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment