Monday, January 19, 2009

Wholly Guacamole



I bought a guacamole making kit from Trader Joe's the other day because I thought it was cute and reasonably priced. It contained two avocados, a jalapeno pepper, a small onion, a clove of garlic, a lime, and two plum tomatoes. I meant to use it this weekend when family was visiting but the avocados took a long time to ripen and weren't ready yet. I have learned the hard way that cutting into an unripe avocado for guacamole is not a tasty idea. So I made the guacamole for Keagan's playgroup this morning instead. I used a trick from Alton Brown with the jalapeno and "roasted" it using a collapsing veggie steamer basket on my stove. Then I rinsed it under cold water, peeled the charred skin off, and seeded it. The remaining pepper is more fruity than spicy. For assembly- I leave the avocado in pretty good sized chunks, but some gets smashed in the process as well. I seeded the tomatoes and chopped them, diced the onion, diced the jalapeno and minced the garlic. Then with a squeeze of the lime and some salt, it was done. I brought along some tortilla chips and pita chips for dipping. It was delicious! The picture isn't super elegant, since I have it packed in tupperware for transport, but oh well. I thought the "aftermath" shot was pretty funny, sort of a reverse mise en place :)

2 comments:

  1. Now that looks delicious! I made Ina Garten's guacamole recipe the other night because I didn't have any jalapenos. It calls for lemon juice instead of lime and Tabasco (8 drops) instead of jalapeno. Not exactly the most traditional, but I have to say it came out very delicious. Tonight I made Ina's oven-friend chicken, which is a misnomer because you actually deep fry it first for about five minutes and finish it in the oven on a sheet pan. So good! You must make it, I am counting on seeing it on this blog next week ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to climb into the computer and eat your guac. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete