Saturday, January 17, 2009

Baked Mac N Cheese



On Wednesday this week I went to a "Mom's Night Out" where the hostess bought a bunch of food and we all cooked together and brought home meals. One of the things we made was a Macaroni and Cheese that we prepped up until the baking portion. I don't usually make baked Mac and Cheese- to be honest, I generally prefer stove-top methods (but I don't just mean using a box). Erik, however, enjoys the bread crumb crust of a baked version, so I indulged him on this one.
The version I brought home was simply the noodles and cheese sauce, so I decided to add some things that would really elevate it to full meal. The first was bacon. I chopped up some slices and cooked them in a pan until nice and crispy bacon bits remained. The second was frozen peas. I would have preferred spinach, but I knew peas would go over better with the boys in the house, and I wanted at least something green in dinner. The third was some diced grape tomatoes, because they add a nice contrasting color and because I had a handful left in a package that really needed to be used.
The result: I am pleased. Erik loved it. Keagan wouldn't eat it (he didn't recognize it as "cheesy noodles" with my additions, and therefore wouldn't try it, he had cantelope and bread and butter for dinner) The crumb topping browned up nicely and was crispy. I am not a huge fan of the all-cheddar mac and cheese because it tends to split into it's oil and cheese solids, making an oily mess. This one held together pretty well, just a little bit of oil separation, for which I was grateful. I enjoyed my additions- the added textures were very helpful because the macaroni became a bit too soft for my taste in the baking process. Plus bacon and cheese... how can you go wrong?
What to change: This wasn't my recipe to begin with, so I don't even know exactly what went into it. For techniques, I would leave the macaroni more al dente, almost par-cooked so that they still have some texture after the baking step. I would also vary the cheeses a bit to compensate for cheddar's separation issues.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, Mac & Cheese! Everyone's favorite! And, there are as many recipes as there are cooks in the world!...LOL...I even have a hardcover cookbook of 145 pgs that is nothing BUT Mac and Cheese recipes!
    I gotta agree with Lana, here, and vote for the more 'gloppy' stovetop versions...Meema prefers them, as well...I like the idea of tomatoes in it, but I usually use the "Diced Tomatoes' in a can that Del Monte, et al, do such a good job with...I also agree that straight cheddar has issues...not only oil separation, but also the flavor...a little harsh for my taste...When I want a 'Cheddar' version, I always use the 'Mild', rather than the 'Sharp'...it melts better and tends not to separate...And there's always the old standby Velveeta!...Nothing melts better and you can whip up a batch in moments, once the Mac is cooked. It has the added benefit of evoking a host of childhood memories...:)))))
    I would be careful about undercooking the Mac...the more undercooked, the more it will soak up moisture from the sauce...and I don't much care for M and C that can be cut with a knife...LOL...it's a real balancing issue to get the sauce loose enough to finish cooking the pasta and still be smooth and creamy after baking. Kinda like Lasagne...
    That said, everyone has a preference and, usually, a recipe to go with it...and like Pizza, these ingredients are going to taste good no matter what happens!...:)))))))))))))))
    Love, Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meema here,and I have to say how much I enjoy reading this blog. I love the fact that you love to play with your food, it reminds me of papa, hehehehe I can't remember how many times he has made something WONDERFUL, but because there was no recipe it was like a snowflake, here for one meal, then gone forever, sigh In my mind's eye I am sent back in time long, long, ago when you and Joe use to make "glop" for us all for dinner, hehehehehe, and good glop it was!!!! love me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lamb I am totally with you on the whole 'al dente' thing, I would say to stop cooking your macaroni or ziti or whatever at about 2/3 of the way through the cooking, it can even have a little crunch left in it because it will finish cooking in the oven. Coincidentally I made our very favorite mac'n'cheese recipe, asparagus mac'n'cheese gratin, last night for Joe (you know, to help him heal). It's is ridiculously complicated but I swear to God it always ends of being worth it. It's from a book called Macaroni And Cheese by Marlena Spieler, and everyone who loves pasta and cheese should own this little book.

    ReplyDelete