Thursday, February 26, 2009

Top Chef (in my head)

Well, this season of Top Chef came to a close last night (although I watched it this afternoon while Keagan was napping) and I felt I had to voice my opinion. If you haven't seen it yet- spoiler alert- don't read on!!

I have been a loyal Top Chef watcher since day one. I love the show and sometimes even learn some things about food and cooking while I watch. I was impressed by the last 5 or 6 contestants on this season. I really thought Jamie would be in the finale, and was sad to see her go because I thought she had great technique and a great point of view with her food- although, sweetheart, how about cooking something other than scallops? I was also saddened to see Fabio go because I thought he was a great cook, but really made it by the skin of his teeth a few times and just couldn't pull it off- plus sometimes his attitude/pride got in the way of listening to what the judges said I think. Of course Stefan was going to be in the finale. I don't think anyone has won challenges as much as he did. Woah. But the attitude! You have to be self-confident and commanding in the kitchen to be a great chef, but he crossed the line into cocky and then by the end, seemed like he just didn't give a damn. Wonderful technique though, I am certain he will go far. Then comes Carla. What a sweetheart! You just gotta love her! Although I thought she was in real trouble when she started talking about the love she put in her food- not that you shouldn't cook with passion, but the way she said it, I could HEAR Tom's eyes roll from off screen. I am so glad she found her voice in the competition and started kicking ass at the end, but what was she thinking letting Casey call the shots in the finale! Oh Carla... where Stefan got cocky, you lost your confidence. I felt so badly for her when she just _knew_ she blew it at judges table. Keep cooking, Carla! You have a lot to offer, that just wasn't your night. Lastly, there's Hosea, Mr. Top Chef. Wow. I picked him early on to be a good competitor, but he floundered a bit there in the middle of the season, and the shenanigans with Leah were soooooo not a good idea, man. I wanted her kicked off way before she was and thought she'd be the death of him. I definitely would not have picked him to win over Stefan and Carla if you asked me last week, but with his performance in the finale compared to theirs, I think it was the right decision. Although I think they should require a 4 course meal WITH dessert. I mean, really. A Top Chef should be able to make a good dessert. I thought Josea did sort of take an easy road without one, but since they did not require it, he shouldn't be penalized for not doing it.
Well done, Chefs! Thanks for a fun season of TV!

1 comment:

  1. I was really rooting for Jamie as well, and was bummed when Jeff made it back in for a second chance over her. Oh well. I'm not thrilled about Hosea winning - he seemed very bland and middle of the road. I think it's hard to ultimately tell without being able to taste the food thought.

    Also, been meaning to leave you a comment to say that Mike and I are enjoying your food blog very much :)

    ReplyDelete