Friday, February 20, 2009

Italian Omelet


I had a small hunk of fresh mozzarella, fresh basil and ripe tomatoes left over from dinner last night and decided to make myself an omelet for breakfast. I also added some chopped scallion to the mix. I went back to my old, tried and true method of making an omelet which worked like a charm and did not result in a scramble instead. On medium heat, I add a good amount of butter to a non-stick pan (at least to coat the bottom) and when it's melted and the pan up to temperature, I added the scallions to soften for a minute, then added the scrambled egg mixture (seasoned with salt and pepper to taste). After the sides have set, pull them toward the center and swirl the uncooked egg into that spot in the pan (I usually pull in quarters, so four times). Then cover and if it looks like the bottom is browning too much, turn down the heat. Let the egg set for a couple minutes (the cover helps make sure there isn't any uncooked, giggly egg in the center). Add the toppings- in this case basil chiffonade, chopped, seeded tomatoes and fresh mozzarella slices- and cover another minute if they need to heat up/melt. Make sure the omelet isn't stuck in any place on the pan by running your spatula around the pan, under the egg. Then flip out into either a half moon (just folded over once on itself), or into a "roll" with a double flip over itself. I just did the half moon here. Eat immediately (not that you can resist). I overdid it with my toast a bit, but otherwise it was a fabulous breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment