Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pulled Pork


I LOVE pulled pork. I don't exactly remember where this love affair began, but it's only been in my adult life. I almost always order it when it's presented on a menu and only a couple times has it ever left me wanting.
Browsing through the meat aisle the other day, there were these little cryo-vac packages of pork with a label that read "for pulled pork". With my re-invigorated crock pot usage in my head, I thought, can I do this in my crock pot? The answer, is YES! And it was De.Lic.Ious. Granted, this is not BBQ pulled pork, there is no smoking involved. Of course that adds another dimension to the dish that is amazingly good. Sadly, I have not yet taken the leap into backyard smoking (it's on my list), but until I do, this will satisfy any pulled pork urge I have.
To make this pulled pork I put a dry rub on the meat and let it set in the fridge overnight. My usually go-to dry rub is a recipe from Alton Brown's "Who Loves Ya Baby Back", which can easily be tweaked with whatever spices you prefer. Then I set it in the slow cooker (juices will be produced over night so make sure it's a vessel to catch those and go ahead and pour them in the cooker) on low for about 4 hours, until I pierced it with a fork and it fell apart. Then I pulled the pork with two forks and slathered with BBQ sauce. A bulkie roll is a great way to go with this, but I also like it on a green salad. Sounds weird, but I had it at a BBQ joint once and now I'm hooked.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds tasty! Pete loves pulled pork too, I may have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete