Monday, November 1, 2010

Not Your Average Sloppy Joe


I have been inspired by the Food Network show "Aarti's Party" which is the first show of the Next Food Network Star winner, Aarti. She is from India and some of her recipes are American favorites with an Indian twist. I purchased some Indian spices to be able to try some of her recipes, namely Turmeric, Cardamom, and Garam Masala (an Indian spice mix). She also uses a lot of fresh ginger and had a great tip that you can peel and grate or mince fresh ginger and freeze it in that form. This was super helpful because I don't use it all that often and would get frustrated throwing away half of "hand" of ginger.
You can see her Bombay Sloppy Joe recipe. I used it as inspiration, but changed it up quite a bit. Mostly because I didn't have a lot of the things she uses on hand (like pistachios and serrano peppers) and just to suit my own tastes (Raisins, Aarti? Really?). But that's the great thing about cooking! You see something you find interesting, use what you like, change what you don't. I loved the Indian spice twist that this recipe provided. I think this was my favorite batch of sloppy joes I've ever made.
I decided to do it all in one pot instead of cooking the meat and sauce in separate vessels. I also used ground beef instead of ground turkey, because that is just what was in the fridge. For the sauce, I like the depth and richness of tomato paste in my sloppy joes so I used that instead of tomato sauce, but then added a can of diced tomatoes for a brighter tomato flavor and variety of texture. I garnished with some Muenster cheese for some creaminess and spinach to add some texture and make it feel a little healthier :)

No comments:

Post a Comment