Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This is a vegetable?


I discovered spaghetti squash after seeing someone cook with it on TV. Basically, you just put it in the oven whole and when it's fork tender, cut it in half, remove the seeds and then use the fork to pull the spaghetti-like insides out. My first time cooking it, I did not cook it enough and the insides were not letting go of the sides, and what I did get out was still crunchy. Properly cooked, it comes out easily and is only slightly more "al dente" than pasta. At first I went simple with some butter and parmesan cheese, which is quite tasty. This time I decided to take it up a notch and see how far this squash could substitute for pasta. I found these gorgeous, thin, fresh asparagus on sale and made a cream sauce for these two veggies to swim in. I prepared the asparagus but breaking the ends off with my hands (the spear will let you know where the end gets tough if you just hold it by each end and bend it in the middle till it snaps) and steaming them until just tender with a fork. This dish was rich enough to be a main course, and also reheated quite well. Plus, it was really nutritious (aside from a bit of fat and calories with the cream sauce, but that could easily be cut down). Here is info on all the good things about asparagus http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2316/2
and spaghetti squash
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2655/2.
Suffice it to say, you get a lot less calories, more fiber and vitamins with two veggies than pasta. I think I'll let the cream sauce sneak by ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment