Friday, March 26, 2010

Black Beans and Rice DuJour


I was stumped for dinner and turned to the pantry. I had some jasmine rice and saw a can of black beans. I'm sure real bean connoisseurs go with dry beans and do the whole overnight soaking and hour boiling thing, but having only discovered that beans are not evil recently, I haven't gone that far. Canned suits me just fine.
While cooking the rice per the package instructions, I sauteed some chopped onions and garlic in a pan with olive oil. Then I added some fresh spinach that I happened to have on hand in the fridge and let it wilt. I rinsed the beans well so they wouldn't "muddy" up the rice and added them to start heating. When the rice was done, I added that, and some butter. I finished it off with some salt, pepper, a "table blend" of seasonings and some cumin.
It was delicious, cheap, and it can be switched up in numerous ways. Today was spinach, next time... who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment