Thursday, May 7, 2009

Torturous French Toast


This French Toast was torturous for Erik, not me, who ate it :) Here's the story:

We had some baguette-type rolls in the house for a night of sausage, peppers and onions for dinner and there was an odd amount of rolls in the package, leaving one left after the dinner meal. A couple days later, the roll was a bit stale. I decided it would make yummy French Toast and started slicing it appropriately. That morning, Erik had to take all our leaf bags out to the curb along with the garbage and he came in complaining he was hungry (he normally eats at work and has a stash of breakfast stuff there). So I handed him one of the little round ends of the bread, which wouldn't sit well in a pan for French Toast. He ate that one, then went over to my bread to grab another of the nice slices to which I protested "No! That's for my French Toast!" but gave him the other rounded end piece. His response was a shocked and terribly disappointed look and he said "now I'll be tortured thinking about all the things I miss when I'm gone." Poor Hubby. Not to worry, he'll get his French Toast this weekend.

This batch of French Toast was, in fact, amazing. I put half and half, cinnamon and vanilla extract into the egg mixture and let the slices soak for several minutes on each side until they were quite gooey in the centers, but the crust was still holding together. I cooked them in a pan with some butter, but also covered them for a little while since they were thick, just to make sure they were totally done. They came out soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Such a weekday treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment