Monday, May 4, 2009

"A Good Head of Cauliflower"


This post is dedicated to Lena who recently said "there's no such thing as a good head of cauliflower" when I was poking fun that she only likes green vegetables. Lena, this one's for you!

I had a head of cauliflower in the fridge that needed to be eaten before it started turning brown, and I decided to get away from the obvious choice of steaming it and thn drowning it in cheese sauce. Tasty for sure, but a bit boring and calorie heavy. I decided instead to saute it with garlic, olive oil and a bit of butter. The garlic was not chopped, but just broken into a couple large piece per clove- from smacking it with the side of my knife to get the peel off. I used about 3-4 cloves. I also seasoned with salt and pepper. The cauliflower was beautifully browned and carmelized and infused with all the flavor of the garlic, oil and butter. The garlic pieces were soft and sweet. It was a fantastic side dish. Even Erik (who isn't a huge fan of the vegetable) ate it all off his plate. I have to quote him too "you could make poop taste good"... "I hoped you don't take that the wrong way and think I'm comparing your food to poop." Thanks, sweetie.
I also looked up cauliflower's nutritional value and found this:
This food is very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium and Manganese.

Who knew it had protein in it?

1 comment:

  1. Lanz! I feel like an a-list celebrity! I made the blog!! Have been waiting years for this honor.

    And you have convinced me of the goodness of cauliflower.

    When do I get to see you guys?

    ReplyDelete