Thursday, May 21, 2009

Chicken and Broccoli "Alfredo"


I have an abundance of chicken breasts in the freezer at the moment and was starting to run out of my usual go-to meals. Then I thought of chicken and broccoli alfredo. This is a dish I occasionally order out at restaurants (when was it exactly that this became a staple on virtually all middle of the road American restaurants?), but realized I had never actually made it at home. I thought to myself "why not?", it's not like it's really that complicated. Perhaps it was the term "alfredo" that scared me. Not sure why. A classic alfredo from Rome is nothing more than butter and parmesan cheese melted together and used to coat pasta. Of course in American restaurants things like garlic, cream, chicken or shrimp and vegetables are pretty much standard additions.
For my "alfredo" sauce, I started with some butter and olive oil in a large pan. Then I added a bit of flour, making a roux to thicken some skim milk and half and half. When I had that at a good consistency (not super thick, knowing what came next), I added some parmesan cheese. To flavor it up a bit I added a little salt and pepper, and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg. I love nutmeg (only freshly grated with this spice will do for me) and knowing how well it goes in something like a creamy gratin, I figured I'd add it.
The chicken I cooked on my little indoor grill with some garlic and herb spice on it. I like the texture the grilling added- giving the chicken a slightly charred outer coating, plus the flavor of the herb mix. I think it was a little more exciting that just cooking the chicken in the pan before building the sauce. I left the breasts whole for grilling and chopped them into bite sized pieces once cool enough to handle, then added them to the sauce.
The broccoli came from a bag of frozen broccoli florets that I put in the microwave with some plastic wrap on top of a big glass bowl (to help hold the steam in and cook them faster). I left them a bit under done, and let them finish up in the hot sauce.
Traditionally, you might see fettucini with alfredo sauce, or often a penne when you get it in an American restaurant with broccoli and chicken, but I happen to have some farfalle in my pantry and thought it would look pretty, plus still hold the sauce well. I don't often use farfalle because sometimes I find it hard to get the pinched inside of the bow to be cooked without the outer edges of it falling apart. It's just the nature of the shape I think, but they sure do look nice when it works out.

1 comment:

  1. That looks super good!! I love that dish too, but never seem to find the perfect consistency. Some are too creamy, some too watery. Yours looks perfect! Try Barilla pasta if you haven't already....it never over cooks even when I forget about it (which happens more often than not)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete