Friday, June 10, 2011

Trash Saver Salad

Ok, maybe not the most appetizing title, but I promise to explain!

We had friends over for a cookout on Memorial Day and they brought a very interesting orzo salad that had black olive slices, feta cheese, yellow raisins and pine nuts in it (along with a few other things I can't remember exactly). It sounds crazy when you describe it. There are so many different flavors and textures going on, but it was yummy and unique.
I used that as an inspiration for my own version on another warm day this week. This type of salad is perfect hot-weather cooking because you can make it in the morning before the mercury rises too far, or even the night before after the day's heat has subsided. These things are always better after sitting a few hours or even overnight in the fridge. They are also great because it's what I call a "trash saver" and by that I mean, it's a wonderful way to use whatever produce you have that needs to get eaten or it will end up in the trash.
For this particular one, I went with mini cucumbers, chopped cashews, craisins, feta, shaved carrot, and scallions. To dress it, I made a simple lemon vinaigrette. Making your own vinaigrette is also something that can be done hundreds of ways and so you can experiment and find what you like. For this one I used a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, squeezed one lemon, a teaspoon or so of sugar, dried thyme and basil, and then I drizzled in olive oil while wisking vigorously until it thickens and becomes creamy (emulsified).

The end result for this salad was pretty sweet, but with a twang of lemon, bite of feta and oniony scallion flavor. I loved the chewy craisins and crunchy cashews mixed in, and there is something that just feels "fresh and clean" about cucumber, no?
There are an infinite number of yummy combinations to this type of Summer salad. Experiment and find some you like :)

No comments:

Post a Comment