Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ever Hot Soup


Erik coined the phrase "Ever hot soup" for this. It has to do with the potatoes really- they hold their heat so well, he's nearly burned his tongue after thinking he let it cool enough.
I've been making this soup for a few years now. The recipe came from Kathleen Daelmans from a Food Network show called Cooking Thin. It is a low fat, healthy soup that makes a very satisfying meal on a cold day. It also only uses one pot, which is great for weeknight meal cleanup. I _never_ would have thought about steaming/poaching fish on top of a soup before I saw her show about it. Before this dish, in my mind, white fish = fried with fries. This soup turned that around for me.
I am sure I've altered the recipe a bit through making it over and over again- sort of like playing telephone with myself- but here's how I do it. To begin, you saute some chopped onion until it's soft and then add some chopped garlic (in a pot you can make the rest of the soup in). Then you add a can of stewed tomatoes (which you can chop up into smaller chunks if they are big half-tomatoes), about 2lbs of either red bliss or other boiling potatoes, chopped into bite-sized chunks and enough chicken stock or broth to cover the potatoes. Add some salt, dried herbs of your choice (I usually go with some oregano and maybe basil), and if you want a little kick, some red pepper flakes. Let this come to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are _almost_ done. At that point, lay a whole cod fillet (you could probably use haddock too, the original recipe just called for cod so that's why I've always used) on top of the soup and cover until the fish has turned opaque and starts to flake apart.
I finished the meal off with some garlic bread this time and it was a wonderfully comforting Winter meal, without the guilt of some of my usual "comfort foods."

1 comment:

  1. I may have to try that one at home! That looks delish!! Lisa

    ReplyDelete