Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Breakfast for dinner!

I think I've mentioned before that breakfast is my favorite meal to cook. I do, of course, love getting out the fine china and making special meals on occasion, but really, I'd make a fancy breakfast every day if I had my way. To extend the opportunity to make more breakfast food, it was breakfast for dinner tonight! There are so many great things about breakfast for dinner, including it being generally cheap and fast. Tonight I decided on bacon, frittata and blueberry pancakes.

Blueberry pancakes in October?! Yes, well, these were frozen blueberries. I had serious reservations about using frozen blueberries in anything other than a smoothie, but these ones I've been buying are really good for frozen berries. They are large, plump, and return to "life" easily in a water bath.

The frittata was particularly scrumptious. I started by sauteing some onions in my non-stick and oven safe (up to 350) skillet. While they were very soft and starting to brown (and get sweet), I beat together 6 eggs, some skim milk, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped grape tomatoes, salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash table seasoning. I poured that into the skillet, which was on medium heat, and left it lone for a couple minutes to start setting. Then I put it into a 325 degree oven until it no longer giggles when you give the pan a little shake. The seasoning is very important. I feel like this application of eggs can be really bland and disappointing if under seasoned. However, I do still want the eggs to shine, and things like sauteed garlic sometimes over power them.

No comments:

Post a Comment